IEC-OKC Chapter Benefits At a Glance
Training Your Workforce
- IEC-OKC administers a US Department of Labor, Bureau of Apprenticeship (BAT) approved, 4-year Electrical Apprenticeship Program.
- Other courses offered throughout the year included general safety courses, CPR/1st Aid, Code Update Classes, OSHA 10-HOUR, Journeyman Test Preparation Course, Manager’s Training.
- On a Federal level, IEC-OKC interviewed all Republican candidates in the 2004 race for the US Senate seat vacated by Don Nickles.
- On a Federal level, IEC-OKC held a reception for Republican Congressman Ernest Istook in 2002 supporting his re-election.
- On a Federal level, IEC-OKC actively supports legislation, in cooperation with IEC National, for Association Health Plan (AHP’s) making it easier for associations to offer group health plans to its members; is opposed to federal PLA legislation advocating “union only” PLA’s on federal construction projects; actively supports legislation, in cooperation with IEC National, which works against “salting” abuse.
- On a Federal level, IEC-OKC is opposed to legislation introduced by Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and George Miller (D-CA) that would unfairly assist union organizing efforts by compromising the fundamental democratic rights of workers. This is known as “Card Check” legislation.
- On the State level, IEC-OKC and its members has worked closely other construction industry partners, in years passed on such issues as Lien Law and the legislation establishing the Construction Industries Board with additional legislation bringing the CIB out from under the health department.
- On the State level, IEC-OKC, its members and other construction industry partners worked hard to lobby the State Legislature to pass Senate Bill 1561 Fair Pay for Construction – this bill was signed by Governor Henry in May 2004!
- On the Stave level, IEC-OKC, its members and other construction industry partners worked hard to lobby the State Legislature to pass Senate Bill 324 Indemnification – this bill was signed by Governor Henry in May 2006!
Looking Out For The Interests of The Industry
- Members of IEC-OKC serve on the Oklahoma State Electrical Examining Committee as well as the Construction Industries Board.
- IEC-OKC members serve on the OKC Code Review and Appeals Committee.
- IEC Staff and Contractor members “rallied the troops” in an effort to make sure IEC members were adequately represented at the Oklahoma City 2002 Code Adoption hearings.
Staying on top of Industry Trends and Changes
- IEC-OKC, Inc. Monthly Membership Luncheon speakers are chosen with a clear focus on issues that affect IEC members. Networking with IEC members locally and nationwide
- IEC-OKC encourages participation in IEC National Conferences, Conventions & Events.
- IEC-OKC can assist you with information on workforce and IEC support nationwide through any of the other 72 IEC chapters.
- IEC-OKC hosts several annual Social Events that include Golf Tourney and Christmas Gala.
- IEC-OKC is proud to offer IEC Power Plus – IEC’s own group health insurance plan.
- IEC-OKC also endorses Federated Insurance Programs. Federated local marketing representatives are well informed and experienced in providing total insurance programs.
- Free consultations with employment law attorneys, Fisher & Phillips, Inc. on EEOC, Wage & Hour Investigation and Unfair Labor Practice related issues.
- Negotiated discounts with:
- Compliance Resource Group – pre-employment drug testing, both DOT registered and non-DOT registered drug-testing programs.
- Office Depot